Monday, April 10, 2017

Things never to say to someone recovering from an eating disorder

Something I've noticed not a lot of people have experience with is talking to someone recovering from an eating disorder. 

Once people know, they may feel awkward, unsure of how to talk to someone, but knowing they want to be supportive. 

I've encountered doctors, family members and friends who did not know how to talk to me regarding my recovery from anorexia. I've had some speak out in ignorance, comment how my body was growing: I got my hips/butt/boobs back, which to me, is not a compliment. It's surface level and insincere. To me, it would mean more if they had said something like how proud they were to see me enjoying the activities that I used to, how happy they were to see me writing again, etc. I've had some family members who threw their hands up in the air in frustration, 'unsure of what to tell me,' annoyed, I would respond, 'say nothing!' Letting it linger as the elephant in the room. 

Throughout my recovery and to this day, I am often uncomfortable in my recovering body and accepting my regained appetite. However, at the same time, I am determined to educate those who are unsure on how to talk to those recovering. It is not a topic to be avoided entirely, but one to be understood. One that requires a little bit of patience and a little bit of empathy. 

I've asked my Instagram followers to add their input on the topic of what not to say to someone recovering from an eating disorder:


[On what to eat]: 
  • "Just eat."- If it were that simple, no one would have an eating disorder. Telling someone with an eating disorder, or a history of disordered eating to 'just eat' is like telling someone with depression to 'just smile,' or someone with cancer to 'just be well.' Also, for someone with a history of disordered eating, there is a lot of anxiety surrounding meal times, a little patience and empathy goes a long way. Practice it. 
  • "You should eat x...."- We know what we should eat, we know what we actually want to eat. The problem is the little voice in our head that is spewing us lies that we are fat, not good enough, etc. and the little voice that feeds us 'rules' about what types of foods are 'good' or 'bad' for us blurs what we should and should not do, resulting in a panic.
  •  "I eat x..." "I follow x meal plan/diet"- For lack of better words, I don't care and neither does anyone else. A diet is something very personal, projecting your beliefs surrounding nutrition is rude and unnecessary. Every body is different, and every person requires different things. I had one therapist who supposedly specialized in eating disorders rave to me about her low-carb diet, and all of the components. While she thought she was being helpful, I found her to be extremely triggering, because I would constantly compare what she told me was in her diet to my self-mad 'rules' about my own diet.
  •  "What is that?" - Questions that seem normal to those who have not experienced disordered eating feel like personal attacks to someone who has. Asking simple questions like 'what is that?' 'what are you eating?' can invoke a lot of anxiety. When I was recovering, if someone asked about anything on my plate, I would make it a point not to eat the thing they were asking about and throw it away. Meal times caused a lot of anxiety for me, so someone making innocent conversation with me about my food felt like added pressure, and I couldn't go through with eating it. Once it was questioned, in my mind, the food was 'bad.'
  •  "That's a lot of protein/fat/carbs"- Again, someone who is recovering has different needs than someone who did not have a past of disordered eating. For me, this was eating a load of carbs, because my body was trying to gain back the weight it had lost, and while I was sick, I refused to eat any carb that was not natural (fruit/vegetable), and banned off fats altogether.  
  •  "Did you finish that?"- *See above* A person recovering has different needs. Meaning, they will need more calories than people who don't have a disordered eating past. Out of treatment, they recommend three snacks per day along with three meals. This alone can cause anxiety for someone recovering, especially if the people they are around are not eating as often as they are. It's best to be supportive, and not comment on food, if you can help it.
  • "Save some for me," "You're eating me out of house and home" [hahaha]: Food 'jokes' to someone recovering are not and will never be funny. Not at all. Like I said, food is something that causes major anxiety, especially the amount, if someone had a past history of restricting. It is common for someone recovering to experience extreme hunger, where it is normal to eat 5,000+ calories per day to repair the damage they have done to their bodies. This makes the sufferer extremely uncomfortable and it is best to be supportive. Try saying things like: 'You're recovering,' 'Your body is working to repair the damage that has been done.' 'Listen to your body.'
  •  "That's a lot of food for someone so little"- Just don't make this comment ever. To anyone. Recovering or not. How much food someone is eating is none of your business. Every body is different and requires different things to run efficiently. In this case, just mind your business. What works for you, might not work for someone else. 

And more... 

In general, if you know someone is recovering from a past of disordered eating, it is best to not discuss food with them. What may be innocent to someone without a history of eating disorder, may interpret in the sufferers mind differently. What may seem innocent to you, may turn into a 'food rule' for them. It's best to avoid it entirely and focus on conversation about work/your day/plans for the weekend, etc. Anything not involving food/exercise. 

[On body]:

"You were never fat" : Eating disorders are not always about appearance, but sometimes a poor self-esteem/depression, which was the case for me. Instead, try saying something about how much the persons friendship means to you, how you appreciate his/her ability to always make you laugh, how loyal of a friend they are. A body is merely an outer shell to hold who we really are. People do not hangout with other people, because their body looks a certain way. If they do, these are not people you need in your life.
"You look so healthy" : This is another one of those statements that may sound innocent, or even encouraging to someone who has not had a history of eating disorder, but to someone who suffered from an eating disorder/poor body image, the evil voice in their head that holds the disorder near and dear translates healthy to mean fat.
"You're getting your butt/boobs back" : I got this one a lot while I was recovering. Before I got sick, I had a very athletic/muscular body. However, I was very uncomfortable with my recovering body, as I was unable to workout during this time. What would be a compliment to some, upset me to no end. I never took this as a compliment, rather an insult. I am not my body. Anyone can have a 'nice body,' but what about my ability to write? What about my determination at work? Compliment me on something I actually worked for, something unique to me. That means more to me than surface level compliments ever will. 

Have you lost weight?/At least you're starting to gain weight back/ How much do you weigh now?/ I weigh X...: Don't ask questions about weight. Good or bad. Numbers should be off limits, especially for someone recovering from an eating disorder. People with a history with eating disorders often have a distorted body image perception, so they will likely always assume they are gaining weight, even if they're not. To regain a healthy view on their bodies, they should avoid weighing themselves in the first place. 

I had several doctors that would shout out my new weight across the hospital, because they were so happy to see that I gained. For my disorder, this made me feel like a failure. I didn't want to hear the number, let alone have it shouted across the room. This often led to me having a panic attack in the parking lot inside my car, vowing to rely on behaviors to go face-to-face with that scale next week. If you have to be weighed for medical reasons, it's best to face the other way, look up at the ceiling, or ask the doctor to cover the numbers, which is what mine eventually had to do. 

  • Another thing that may be off-limits for someone recovering from a history of disordered eating is exercise. : For me, at least, when I was recovering and unable to exercise myself, I would become very angry hearing anyone talk about their workout, seeing a women's health magazine, or anything of the sort. I wanted to move my body, and I would misplace my frustration on anyone who could do so in a healthy manner. 

Note: This list is subjective, based on my first-hand experience and opinions, along with some tips added from my Instagram followers input. Each case is different. If you are unsure of how to talk to a friend or loved one recovering from an eating disorder, it's best to ask them, "What topics are off-limits for you?" "Is it OK that I talk about this?" The best thing you can do as a friend is be supportive, patient, and empathetic to their unique situation. 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment